custom

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Finding "The Dress"

Okay, so few things you probably should know before I start this post:

1.) I can be the most indecisive person ever. I have to feel like I've explored every option possible before narrowing things down to at least 2-3 choices, then it takes me a little under an eternity to make a final decision.

Quick disclaimer: This mindset was not the case with the groom. :-) Gary is the one thing in all of this planning that I've been 100% sure about! LOL

But the idea of having to find "the dress" on a time limit without a clue of what I wanted....SCARY. Some of this stems from the fact that I really can see the beauty in everything, and don't really have one specific "style." What to do? Classy, trendy, romantic, vintage? I like it all!

2.) I am a self-proclaimed reality show junkie. I watch everything under the sun from MTV shows, HGTV, makeover shows, and of course wedding shows! One of my favorite being "Say Yes to the Dress." This is the one thing I did that can kinda count as pre-engagement wedding homework because other than that, I really hadn't put much thought into what I pictured for the big day. I just thought I would figure it all out when the time came. However, after watching the show and countless brides find their dream gowns, I knew I wanted an experience like that, and the specific silhouettes I was drawn to.

Moving on....

Since Cindy (Gary's Mom) was in town for Thanksgiving, I thought this would be perfect to at least explore gowns for the first time. I was really excited that she was able to join us, and I made appointments at two local salons on Black Friday...hey, couldn't hurt if we found a great deal too! In all honesty, I thought it would be fun to just go look and get ideas, but knowing me and my indecisiveness I probably wouldn't find "it" yet. Since I've been going to New York a lot lately for work, it only made sense in my head that I'd probably go to Kleinfeld (the salon featured on the TV show I mentioned earlier), get my purchase there, and maybe even be on the show? Duh! Haha.

B~L~A~C~K    F~R~I~D~A~Y

We headed out early Friday to our first stop. The gang was comprised of my Mom, my sisters Danielle & Lauren, and Cindy! Yay!

The first salon was just ehh. They had some pretty gowns that I tried on, but I had to share their one mirror with another bride and annoyingly take turns, plus the saleswoman kept putting weird things on me that were not cute and seemed dated. I still don't know what that sparkly sheer glove/arm thing was.

No biggie though, round two. I had high hopes for this second salon as I heard many good things about them. The salon is called Solutions Bridal, and they have two locations (Gainesville, and their newest in Orlando). I found myself immersed in a variety of designer gowns, and they definitely had much better choices in my opinion.
Let me just tell you that the ENTIRE crew there is amazing. My stylist, Megan, was especially awesome. Very friendly, knowledgeable, assuring, and it felt like we'd known her for years.
My stylist Megan is the brunette in the bottom middle. Had to pay her tribute!
As soon as we walked in, they offered my party glasses of wine and comfy seats on their stylish decor. I walked straight to a specific dress that caught my eye, and it ended up being one Megan had already pulled for me---it was just waiting for me to try it on.

I tried on about 4 dresses before that dress. They were all pretty, and starting to confuse me. Then I tried on the last dress, the one that caught my eye. It was beautiful, but still not sure if it was "the one." It was only when I accidentally caught my reflection from a distance walking back to the dressing room that my heart skipped a beat. I felt and looked like a bride! Megan said she saw the look on my face in that moment and she knew our journey had ended. She recommended we step outside so I could see everything in natural lighting. After I was "jacked" up with the wedding works & accessories, I stepped outside. It felt amazing to get oohs and ahhs from random people in the parking lot (I still wonder if they hire those people), and at that point I starting taking it into serious consideration.

Could it be that easy? I couldn't have tried on more than 8 wedding dresses total in my entire wedding dress experience, which really all took place that same day. I needed to sit on it for awhile, so we went to lunch next door to digest everything. After a reassuring phone call with Gary, I realized I should just jump in and embrace it. If I didn't, I risked missing out on the dress, a great Black Friday deal, trying on a thousand more dresses, and confusing the heck outta myself!

We went back to Solutions, I put the dress I "said yes" to on again, and everyone in the room celebrated as Megan popped open a bottle of champagne! All in all, this was a great experience. The same bridal feeling I was looking for in my wishful thoughts of Kleinfeld, but even better since I was able to share it with loved ones.

Getting the dress that day surprised myself and everyone around me, but I am extremely glad I took the plunge. I've fallen even more in love with it now that I've gone back about 4 or 5 times since to retry it on for fun (I'm telling you, the team there is soooo patient!). Wish I could post a pic here, but you'll just have to wait and see! ;-)

<3,

Krissy

No comments:

Post a Comment